Friday, September 2, 2011

Millstream Rocks!

Brewer Chirs Priebe has followed an impressive career path. From beginning as a fast food worker and student of journalism (imagine how his recipes must read?), to a bar-tending gig at the Dubuque Brewing Company which is responsible for his path to the beer industry. One day he noticed an underlying butterscotch flavor in a beer. When he brought this fault to the attention of one of the brewers and was asked if he wanted to be a cellar man. His response was yes. From there he learned all the necessary aspects of cellarmanship, starting with tank cleaning and sanitizing, working his way to the brewhouse and then paid training at the Siebel Institute. Sadly, shortly after his training was completed the Dubuque brewing co. closed it's doors for the last time.

In 2000, after being out of brewing for a year, Chris found a position at the Millstream Brewery in Amana, IA. At the time Chris started at Millstream they were attempting to make traditional German beers, and reportedly falling a little short on quality. When the floundering Millstream went up for sale in 2001 Chris and the other brewers decided to buy it and take it to the forefront of the IA craft beer scene. At this point Chris and company have done just that by making a variety of quality beers including appropriate seasonals and some compelling limited edition batches.

The Historic Landmark town of Amana is a small. Small enough that when I stop to get a coffee before joining Chris, the proprietor knows exactly what he likes and prepares it. That's service! With coffee and pastries in hand (don't ask how I ride this way) I head over to the brewery to see what the day holds. When I arrive it is nearly time to mash in and Chris is pleasantly surprised by his morning beverage. The morning finds us covering nearly every conversational topic available and I quickly I start to realize that, like me, Chris is interested in every single thing on earth. He rides a Harley and has been a bike enthusiast for some time. This leads to talk of local travel options and then that leads to talk of a meat shop in town which leads to everything except space travel. That's not entirely true because we did talk about a sci-fi novel (series actually) that Chris has been writing. I'm sure space is in there somewhere.

After the first mash is ready for grain out I try to help out and then head out to see some of the places Chris recommends. Tihis is the start of what is to be an awesome afternoon. I grab a quick lunch, follow that up with the meat shop, and then head back to help Chris some more. When I arrive he tells me that I am invited to join his family for dinner out after work is over. As an added bonus I get to do some much needed laundry at his home before dinner. And, if all of the other things weren't enough, he also leads me on a ride around the Amana Colonies. This is the first time I have gone riding with anyone one my trip and it is a blast! We make a loop of the area and Chris fills me in on info on the different areas as we ride. Make sure to check out the giant Lily pad pond when you're nearby. I have never seen such a dense collection of lilies in any location.

After our ride we return to the house to gather the troops for dinner. I am greeted by a most pleasant Kitty named Crunchy. He is friendly to the extreme. He must have sensed how badly I need to pet a cat because when I picked him up he went completely limp in my arms and purred continuously throughout his captivity. After I got my fill of cat contact we head off to dine on traditional German fare at the Ronneburg restaurant in Amana. It was great to be surrounded by a close knit group of family and friends while enjoying my food. I felt right at home the entire time we were together. It was a pleasant reminder of the power communal dining and drinking have on the human psyche. I left the table feeling fulfilled and after a trip back to Chris's house to pick up my laundry I headed back to the campsite to catch up on writing and photo uploading.


As I sit here in my 100 degree tent I wish that dinner would have lasted a few beers longer.


I had a great time at Millstream. Make sure you talk to Kelly in the visitors center. She will take good care of you. While in Amana make sure to check out the Museum and everything else the town has to offer. If you ride make sure to go to the nearby town of Anamosa, IA to visit the National Motorcycle Museum.


 Until next time......


 Cheers,

sparging
 
first runnings

Chris weighing hops
Spent Grain from Iowa Pale Ale.








1 comment:

  1. Are you coming to Texas? spentplanet at gmail dot com if you are

    ReplyDelete