Sunday, September 4, 2011

Posting from The Blind Tiger in Topeka Kansas

First off, the Midwest is amazing! What it lacks in motorcycle roads it makes up for in enthusiastic Hospitality.

I arrived in Kansas City, MO on Thursday evening and was assured by my friend, and Doodle Brewery owner/brewer, Nick Vaughn that I would be receiving star treatment. And boy did I ever!







After a much needed Friday night rest in a local hotel I woke up Saturday feeling ready to explore KC. Instead, I ended up exploring my inability to write coherent sentences. I was in my room until noon. Nick came to my whisk me away to Boulevard Brewing Co. at 12:30. Boulevard was started in 1989 and is now the second largest brewery in MO. 

I entered the brewery not knowing what to expect, aside from a chance to reunite with Jeremy Danner. I know Jeremy from a glorious evening spent making the wrong choices a few years ago during the CBC (craft brewers conference). We were quick friends and I have been looking forward to spending some time with him ever since. I found out that Jeremy has recently achieved Icon status. Unfortunately, in order to retain Icon status one must be on the move at all times. This meant we only had a short time together. Fortunately for me an Icon always know how to treat a visiting friend. I am quickly passed into the welcoming embrace if the QC lab staff where I am sure to be safe and happy for the remainder of my visit.

My visit to Boulevard was incredible! A real chance to have some good clean fun. I got to meet many of the production staff and see the entire brewery. In an environment that is continually in flux this can be a challenge and the hospitality is much appreciated. Thanks to everyone for your kindness.



After my time at Boulevard Nick came to reclaim me and show me a taste of KC. Our first stop was McCoy's Brewpub for a dinner and some pints. I had some mac and cheese with bacon and peas, one IPA, and one ESB. All together it made for a pleasant meal with great beers. From there we hit The Dark Hourse for another beer. This time I had a Octoberfest from Boulevard. It was a perfect example of the style with a nice malt character and clean finish. After that beer I was unable to fit anything else in my stomach so it seemed like a good time for a break. In this case the break was a trip to The Doodle Brewery in Libert, MO


More Boulevard pictures first.
Jeremy and Nathan explore Jeremy's box of shame.
Thanks very much Nathan for guiding me.
                                                                              






Cheers until later...
Thanks to Nathan Perry, Nick Vaughn, Elizabeth Belden, and Jeremy Danner for the good times. To those not yet names as Icons I will be nominating you.

1 comment:

  1. Hey buddy, good read and great to see you again! I'm sure our paths will drunkenly cross in the foggy future. Sincerely yours, Jeremy Brewing Icon Danner. PS. Go to hell :)

    ReplyDelete