Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sat Aug20th. Ready to travel?

I got up early on Saturday and was determined to devote the day to miniature panthers and Packing.
Motorcycles and Kittens in the house! Respect. 

I am going to miss the hell out of my cats. They always get weirded out when the motorcycle luggage comes out and it was an entertaining morning of cat photography. 

In order to get ready for a motorcycle trip you must start with the idea that you don't need, and will never use, all that stuff. Seriously. While weight and space is not at the premium it would be for backpacking or cycling it helps to pack light if you want a complication free trip.

Here is what I will take with me. 
 Basically in order from left to right. 

\
  • Sleeping bag 
  • A crash pad. 
  • A solar/hand crank radio with built in light.
  • A lighter.
  • A lantern, a headlamp, and a waterproof flashlight that makes it's own power when shaken.
  • A tire puncture kit (top center)
  • A GPS 
  • A set of good raingear and waterproof riding gloves. 
  • A tent. Small enough to fit in the side case - large enough to house all my gear and myself.
  • A hatchet. 
  • A coffee press. What would you do without coffee silly?
  • Gas for the little stove I have (that's tucked in the pot's and pan set)
  • Camp cookware.
  • Heated jacket with controller (below). 
  • Side cases (below).



  

In addition to these items I will have just enough clothing to fit into my topcase. 6boxers, 4 t-shirts, 2 pair of jeans, and 7 pair of socks. I could have packed less with the idea being I will wear my motorcycle gear all day on any day I am travelling from point to point. I can never seem to allow myself to do that. I guess I really like clean shirts.

After a nice get together with some close friends in Brighton, MA this afternoon I realized my GPS mount is ruined. I think it is a fuse and will look deeper into that tomorrow.....

Tomorrow I am leaving for 6 weeks. There will be many rooftop beers consumed this night! 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your adventure! I am hoping you land at Allagash, for obvious reasons. New Belgian Brewing is too far away. Best wishes!

    Oh yeah, and save the VT breweries for the appropriate time frame.

    ReplyDelete